Thursday, September 27, 2012

Resilience of Life

A month from the cruelty of summer's scorch, a mere six days after the fall equinox, a small rain or two behind us, a cool night or three to lift our spirits, and life begins again in the garden.  Even while I'm attempting emergency resuscitation of my buffalograss, other floral tough guys are showing their resilience; blooming literally, as it were, amidst the devastation of my stressed landscape.

I know that this photo of a 'Charlotte Brownell' bloom was careless, taken with my cell phone instead of a decent camera, hand-held and under artificial light instead of carefully composed, but it is nonetheless representative of hope for my garden's future.  I quickly plucked the discovered bloom from its thorny cradle and sprinted straight for its presentation to Mrs. ProfessorRoush, an old man made young by rebirth and seeking the approval of love again.

I've never experienced a more perfect bloom of 'Charlotte Brownell', each petal smooth and unblemished by insect or sun, kissed with the mild rain that fell yesterday afternoon.  She has struggled in my garden, this offspring of 'Peace', and in the summer heat she shriveled, opening too fast and fading to white before her true beauty could be appreciated.  Only now, can I see her promise.  A year's growth behind her, now in Fall, she moves from awkward childhood into puberty in the blink of an eye, the temperate weather bringing blush to her cheeks and a healthy glow to her center.

And I am reminded how a garden, once verdant, can be so again, reinvigorated by the passage of seasons; ever green, ever growing, and forever hopeful. 

7 comments:

  1. Gardening and optimism go hand in hand. I'm glad to hear autumn is being kind to your garden. It has been a hard summer. The bloom is beautiful - and shows just how resilient plants can be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic rose! The tones are absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I am now a follower of your blog and look forward to return visits. I invite you to join me as well on my blog at http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com
    Hugs, Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gayle. It does have some beautiful tones, especially in cold weather, and such large blooms! I'll visit your blog.

      Delete
  3. What a thing of beauty!!! This makes me pine for my own dearly departed Charlotte Brownell. It faded away a couple of years ago, probably a defective plant from the get go, and I have not yet replaced it. Where did you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I must admit buying it as a “bagged” $4 rose…scarring up the bud union….and burying it deep to attempt to get it to grow own root. I wanted the DNA since I’d never seen it for sale anywhere. No surprise, my plant has mosaic disease…one of the few in my garden, but of course one of the few grafted roses I grow. But it seems vigorous enough so far…doesn’t produce much in summer but likes spring and winter here.

      Delete
  4. Lovely rose. Wonderful and so vivid colours. Nice photo. I like your blog. Thanks.

    bean bag chair

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest in my blog. I like to meet friends via my blog, so I try to respond if you comment from a valid email address rather than the anonymous noresponse@blogger.com. And thanks again for reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...