Sunday, July 30, 2023

Two Buck Roses

'Spanish Rhapsody'

It's been some time since I blogged about the roses, but I'm happy to report that most of my Rugosa's are surviving and show no signs of rose rosette at present.  And, I noted this week that a couple of my remaining Griffith Buck roses are in their second or third bloom stage and I believe it's high time to share them with you. 

I give you first, the delicate shadings of 'Spanish Rhapsody'.  I've blogged about her before, but she's too beautiful to ignore.   This year, I first noticed her blooming from the window of the kitchen, clear down yonder in the garden, where I could see this diminutive rose blooming its fool head off, defying an attack from last few remaining Japanese Beetles.   





Described as pink and yellow and stippled at helpmefind/rose, she appears only pink to me this year, although I believe I've seen more yellow from her in the past, such as my blog from 2016.   The pictures at the helpmefind linked site show this is one of the more variable roses, with lots of different appearances across the US.  'Spanish Rhapsody' was bred by Dr. Buck in 1984.   

'Spanish Rhapsody' has survived since 2015 in my garden, but she is always much smaller for me than her advertised 4 foot height.   I don't know that I've ever seen her more than a couple of feet foot tall and wide.  Blooms are of moderate size, about 3 inches around, and start out nicely tight like a Hybrid Tea and then the semi-double blooms open quickly to some golden stamens.   I pray every season that she remains resistant to Rose Rosette Disease.   Certainly, she seems immune to blackspot and powdery mildew.  'Spanish Rhapsody' has a little dieback in my winters.





'Prairie Princess'
The other rose I'd like to introduce today was a "take a chance" rose that I acquired sometime in 2021, another Griffith Buck rose that was a surprise find at a big box store.  When you find a rose with "Prairie" in its name, it's either a Buck rose or a Canadian, generally, and so I took a chance on 'Prairie Princess', and she has lived up to my expectations.    





'Prairie Princess' is another short-statured rose,  but with a little more "junk in the trunk" compared to 'Spanish Rhapsody, meaning that she is a little broader in the middle  She starts out light pink, really just a blush pink, and fades over time to white.   Helpmefind/rose says that she should be salmon pink and 5-8 feet tall, so I'm wondering if I've got a mis-named rose here.  One commenter at that site suggested she looks like 'Morden Centennial', but my rose looks more like 'Morden Blush'.  Who knows?

This rose was bred early in Dr. Buck's program, prior to 1967, and introduced to commerce in 1972, but I would not have guessed it from the form or disease tolerance.  I don't know what has kept her hidden or out of main commerce.  About 2 feet tall and wide, she has good winter hardiness, better than 'Spanish Rhapsody' in my climate.  Disease resistance is still excellent as you can see from my un-cared for specimen with grass growing all around it.  She seems to be a floribunda in form, flowering in clusters, and rarely is without flowers.   I can't fault 'Prairie Princess' for beauty and she's Rose Rosette free, two years running so, I guess "one pays his money and takes his chances," but this time it paid off.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in my blog. I like to meet friends via my blog, so I try to respond if you comment from a valid email address rather than the anonymous noresponse@blogger.com. And thanks again for reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...