I suddenly realized yesterday that I'd been looking for Monarch butterflies to show up for years in the wrong place. And it has unfortunately started an "earworm".
♫ I been in the right place, but it must have been the wrong time.
I'd have said the right thing, but I must have used the wrong line. ♫
Thank you, Dr. John (Malcolm John Rebennack, 1940-2019)!
![]() |
| Monarch butterfly (Danaus plexippus) |
![]() |
| Western Ironweed (Vernonia baldwinii) |
![]() |
| Western Ironweed closeup |
Jim Mason's Pocket Guide to Common Kansas Butterflies is a great online resource for butterfly identification, and shows valuable "folded" wing pictures of most entries, but it couldn't help me with this one!
I've never read that Monarch butterflies (Danaus plexippus) feed on Western Ironweed before. Veronia sp. are included in a rather long list of "adult food sources" on the Monarch butterfly Wikipedia page, but so are half the other plants in my area. Otherwise known as Baldwin's Ironweed, it is a common invasive weed on the prairie, and cattle won't eat it (which means deer won't eat it either!). Now that I know it is an important nectar plant, I'll have to let clumps grow in my landscape in the future.
.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your interest in my blog. I like to meet friends via my blog, so I try to respond if you comment from a valid email address rather than the anonymous noresponse@blogger.com. And thanks again for reading!