Monday, November 14, 2011

Luck for a Buck (or Nine)

Yesterday I took Mrs. ProfessorRoush and her younger clone on a shopping trip.  After dropping them off into a sucking money whirlpool known to human females as a "mall", I bided my afternoon visiting the bookstore (which means more garden book reviews to come later), and browsing aimlessly at various harmless home improvement stores. 

Not expecting to find any outdoor plants for sale here late in November, I was nonetheless pleased to discover the last remnants of summer's bounty at Lowes, which consisted of several 2 gallon specimens of 'Diana' Althea (Hibiscus syriacus 'Diana'), and a number of gallon containers of variegated sea oats (Chasmanthium latifolium 'River Mist').  It was surprising enough that both plants seemed to be in somewhat survivable shape this late in the season, but of more immediate importance was the fact that the 'Diana' was marked down from $16.98 to $3.00, and the 'River Mist' were all $1.00, down from $7.98.  Needless to say, there will soon be a 'Diana' planted somewhere in my beds, and a half dozen 'River Mist' edging some taller grasses.  Even if only half of the latter make it through the winter to come, I couldn't miss the price of those 'Mist', now could I? 

I either just got a heck of a bargain or else I just wasted a whole $9 and had to dig a bunch of worthless holes in my garden beds.  I'll let you know next Spring.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't that great.. Went by the local ace hardware and found 5 Blue Fortune Agastache one gallon, 3 Russian Sage, Rudebeckia hirta, and 3 three gallon Goldbar Miscanthus for a buck a piece. What fun..such bargains! If your variegated oats seeds out send me some next fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been cruising the nurseries or big box stores this fall, but hearing about your variegated river oats find, I think I need to remedy that! Lowes, you say?

    By the way, I don't know about you, but bookstores are definitely "sucking money whirlpool"s for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, Gaia...I've got a decent library these days....buy a lot at Half-Price books over the years and still probably have more money in books than any other physical item in my life.

    Greggo, sent you a p.m.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest in my blog. I like to meet friends via my blog, so I try to respond if you comment from a valid email address rather than the anonymous noresponse@blogger.com. And thanks again for reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...