Saturday, January 22, 2022

Creatures Gonna Creep

Creatures creep in my garden fair,

They sneak and crawl, go here and there.

They run, they jump, they eat, they fight,

They wander there most every night.







I think my garden mine alone,

They think the garden theirs to roam.

When nighttime falls, then out they come,

They're feeding off of my green thumb.







Deer and skunks and squirrels and coons,

The garden mine in afternoons.

At night, the garden, creatures own,

They sit upon my garden throne.









Share I must, I must not kill,

The creatures linger out there still.

I surrender all to them each night,

They cede the garden, mine each light.



ProfessorRoush collected his game cameras last month and I was surprised, as always, by the life of my garden at night.   I was less enthused at the skunk that made an appearance, but she seemed to be just wandering through.   The coyotes  are the most frequent visitors, patrolling the beds for rodents and generally just slinking around every night.   

But, I recognize that life in the garden is fleeting, here one minute and gone the next minute, just like the sudden starlings in the photo above and the empty ground a few seconds later of the photo below.  Notice the time stamp on these two pictures.  Life is fleeting in the garden.

 


5 comments:

  1. ProfessorRoush, It's so much fun to see all the wildlife using your garden at night. Count yourself lucky to have the coyotes on rodent patrol - the voles here are voracious. I try to soothe myself, saying that they are doing a great job of aerating the soil...but it's hard to convince myself!
    Cynthia, a.k.a. Gaia gardener (For some reason, I'm not able to log into my Google account to comment, although I have no problem otherwise. Oh, well....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coyotes can be magnificent. But their howling can get a little obnoxious during mating season.

      Delete
  2. I've wanted to put out a trail cam for awhile to see what would pop up. I know we have a lot of the same that you caught on yours because I've seen a fair amount of them in person. I know some people, including one of our employees, have seen a mountain lion in the area before. Sadly, I think I'd mostly just come up with lots of our college students wandering in areas they aren't supposed to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mountain lion would be a great capture; but would mean a real danger for Bella! I'll settle for a bobcat.

      Delete

Thank you for your interest in my blog. I like to meet friends via my blog, so I try to respond if you comment from a valid email address rather than the anonymous noresponse@blogger.com. And thanks again for reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...