Saturday, June 8, 2024

Plant of the Week

Black Sampson echinacea
The weekly lawn-mowing occurred on schedule today, a necessary Saturday chore that ProfessorRoush routinely approaches with resignation combined with mild boredom.  I allegedly mow because the alternative to mowing (NOT-MOWing) leads ultimately to chaos in the garden and results in disdainful glances and shaking fists from passing neighbors and even threats of visits from authorities who have bestowed themselves with the ability to levy fines and prison sentences and the like. But truthfully, not really caring about the public reaction, I tolerate mowing because it gives me an opportunity to see all of the garden when I mow round and round and round about it, noting the species and cultivars in bloom or lamenting the loss of others even while I sunburn and sweat my youth away.

This week it was evident  to me that the garden gave up waiting on the judgement of the gardener and chose a Plant of the Week on its own, bestowing the honor on the Black Sampson echinacea, Echinacea angustifolia, now in bloom all over the garden.   My decision to NOT-MOW parts of the garden, ostensively to create a "rain garden" but in full disclosure just to mow less space and to spend less time doing it, has resulted in a slow increase in the native forbs as I intended, and now I'm "reaping the echinacea," as it were. 

The garden has welcomed Black Sampson within it, and sheltered it from storm, scorching sun, and snow, but its selection as Plant of the Week is also endorsed and promoted by the fauna of the garden, favored as it is by some sort of horrid little black beetles crawling on it and leaving holes in the petals (the same beetles also seem to be simultaneously merrily attacking the native Western Yarrow, Achillea millefolium), but also desired, and more to my personal joy, by native prairie butterflies, who are happily feeding on the spiky Black Sampson.




Variegated Fritillary, Euptoieta claudia
I am not a butterfly expert by anyone's estimation, least of all my own, but I believe I have correctly identified this one as a Variegated Fritillary, Euptoieta claudia, common to the region and a perfect match for web images and descriptions of the species, right down to the "pale yellow median band crossing both wings."  "Claudia", as I quickly nicknamed her, didn't seem to mind the lack of petals on this fading echinacea bloom as she moved rapidly around the spikes gathering nectar.

I am far less sure about  the identity of this white skipper shown at the right, but I was delighted to capture this clear and focused silhouette photo of its proboscis extended into the flower.  It is likely a Common Checkered-Skipper, Pyrgus communis, but while the folded wings look perfectly like other web images of the species, the unfolded wings of "my" skipper didn't have near the gray/brown coloration on the upper surfaces, nor the characteristic "blue-green sheen on upper body hairs" noted by experts  It resembles nothing else, however, in the Kansas butterfly guide that I chose as a reference.

Who really knows about skippers anyway?  There is evidently a White-Checkered Skipper that is quite similar,  the latter stated to be the only white skipper found in neighboring Missouri, but yet published distribution maps of the White-Checkered Skipper don't show it anywhere north of southern Oklahoma.  Another reference gave the Common-Checkered Skipper a different classification entirely, listing it as Burnsius communis (Grote, 1872), and stated "This species is separated from the White-Checkered Skipper with confidence only by dissection and examination of the male genitalia."   Since I have little or no confidence in my ability to assess male skipper genitalia, let alone find them, I'll have to just live on without knowing, won't I?


In the meantime, however, it's very nice to find the echinacea and the skippers and fritillaries engaged in the normal activities and seasonal pairings of the Kansas prairie.   My dislike of  mowing just fades fast away when I find native butterflies enjoying the garden that the prairie allows me to call "mine."

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful butterfly and Echinacea shots! "Reaping the Echinacea," indeed. Sorry to hear that some neighbors and passersby aren't fully tolerant of a natural landscape. Don't work too hard. Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth, I won't work TOO hard. I appreciate you following my blog so diligently!

      Delete

Thank you for your interest in my blog. I like to meet friends via my blog, so I try to respond if you comment from a valid email address rather than the anonymous noresponse@blogger.com. And thanks again for reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...